My Top 10 Summer Essentials

For the last couple of months (it’s been summer in Australia) I’ve been reaching out for the same few items over and over again and I thought I’d put them all together in this post.

Mac Soft & Gentle Summer Essential

1. Highlighter

I love highlighter all year round, however in summer I definitely tend to lean towards more golden/bronzed highlight shades which is why it’s no surprise I’ve been loving Mac Soft & Gentle. It gives the most stunning glow on top of a tan. I feel like in winter I’m a bit too pale for it, so I definitely love using it in summer to give that golden glow effect!

Natural Instinct Sunscreen

2. SPF

The sun is extremely harsh on your skin in all seasons, however in summer it’s even more so. That’s why applying sunscreen is even more important when it gets warmer. Recently I’ve been using the Natural Instinct Invisible Sunscreen (SPF 30)*, which in a natural sunscreen, free from any chemicals and preservatives. I find that a little goes a long way as it’s a hydrating sunscreen, meaning it has moisturising oils in it, which ensure that the sunscreen spreads far. The only thing I’d say to keep in mind with this is that it’s a very natural scent, not like most sunscreens. However that’s what you’d expect from a natural sunscreen and as long as there are no chemicals, I’m on board!

Orange Lipsticks

3. Orange Lipstick

Summer is definitely the season that I get more into my exciting lipstick shades when I can. These range from bright reds (like the Rimmel & Clinique one pictured) to more orange and peach shades. I just find that these sort of colours look better when I have more of a tan, compared to winter when berry shades and nudes are my go-to’s.

Le Tan Uber Dark

4. Fake Tan

As you’ve probably guessed from the things above, my tan really alters my makeup preferences and it’s no surprise that in summer I want to appear more tanned. Although I’ve never really fake tanned before, I though I’d give it a go this summer and I’m glad I did! I’ve only done it a couple times throughout the last few months, but I’ve been using the Le Tan Uber Dark* range and it has been awesome. I use the Violet Base and the face drops. Although some might not want to leave the tan on for three hours (which is how long I keep it on for), I don’t really mind it.

The tan looks natural and isn’t too orange or red. I also really like the facial tanning drops, which I add a couple of to my moisturiser whenever I feel like my face needs it. They also apply evenly and give a crazy natural look. I’d definitely recommend applying a bit to your ears and neck to start with though just to ensure you match it with the rest of your body.

Sunnies

5. Sunnies

It’s summer, so of course a pair of sunnies is an essential. I personally haven’t invested in any expensive sunnies (though I am thinking about it so if you have suggestions, please comment them below) but I have been loving these ones from Dotti. You can usually get 2 for $20 which is a complete bargain and as long as you find a pair that matches your face shape and that you like I think it’s a win!

T2 Iced Tea

6. Iced Tea

If you know me well then this wouldn’t come as a shock to you as I absolutely love tea all year around, however in summer at times it’s definitely a bit too hot for hot teas, so I opt for colder brews. I’ve been really enjoying making T2 iced teas recently and if you haven’t heard of T2 I really recommend checking them out. Personally for iced teas I like to mix a bunch of them together as I find it more exciting that way.

Mac Fix Plus

7. Setting Spray

With the crazy heat in an Australian summer how could one of my essentials not be a setting spray? I love the original Urban Decay one but I recently picked up the Fix+ from Mac for the first time and I find it slightly more refreshing for summer than the Urban Decay one. If you haven’t tried either I really recommend spritzing some on yourself when you get the chance. They work great to refresh and also make your makeup last longer, which is always an essential.

Avene Moisturiser

8. Light Moisturiser

In winter there is no doubt that I prefer a more heavy moisturiser as I have pretty dry skin and need something intense. However in summer my skin seems to cope a bit better and with the heat I much prefer using something more light. That’s why I have really been enjoying this Avene Hydrance Optimale Aqua Cream-In-Gel*. It’s a light gel consistency, you only need a little amount of it and it sinks in really fast. I find that my skins loves it and it doesn’t feel sticky or anything after. There is no scent and overall I’m really happy with it. So if you’re after a light moisturiser, this would be a great one to try out.

Pore Primers

9. Pore Primers

Although in general I don’t really wear much foundation I do still like to use a primer to even out my skin texture. I find that regardless of whether I am tanned or not, my pores stand out. Smoothing them out makes a world of difference. Throughout the summer I’ve been reaching for the classic Benefit POREfessional (click here for the review) and my all-time favourite Garnier 5-Second Blur (click here for the review).

Seafolly One-Piece Bathers

10. Bathers

Without a doubt, like the rest of them, swimming gear is a summer essential. The one-piece pictured here is from Seafolly which I absolutely love. It’s comfortable and easy to just chuck on and go. I’m currently on the lookout for a nice two-piece so if you have any suggestions then let me know too!

And those are my 10 summer essentials! Let me know what you can’t live without during summer down below!

Love,

Sofia

*Please note, some of these products were kindly sent to me for my review and consideration. However all opinions are honest and 100% my own.

34 Comments

1. February 19, 2018 / 9:48 am

I love to read through lists like these since I often find out about new interesting items! A natural sunscreen is actually something I’ve been looking for. Thanks for sharing!

Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

February 19, 2018 / 1:19 pm

Ahh glad you enjoyed it! Check this one out for sure 🙂 xx

February 19, 2018 / 1:17 pm

Yessss it’s so nice just to give that stunning gold highlight! xx

2. February 17, 2018 / 3:41 am

Lovely post! You look gorgeous! 🙂 <33

3. February 14, 2018 / 5:01 am

The truth is I’m rather afraid of highlighters. They’re beautiful,yeah and really give a nice, healthy glow to the face. But my fear is having bad, horrible skin and I personally feel applying highlighter will contribute to the breakout of my skin. I know, my fear is absurd but that’s what I’m afraid of. Anyway, good summer essentials guide-I totally agree.

#sweetreats xx http://www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

February 16, 2018 / 8:41 pm

Ah fair enough! I don’t think it’s strange at all, don’t think it’s absurd! If you worry there’s no point doing it, since makeup is for you to enjoy 🙂 For example I don’t really like foundation cause just none seems to work in the way I want it to haha so I just don’t worry much about it! 🙂 xx

February 16, 2018 / 8:42 pm

Summer is the best! xx

February 7, 2018 / 6:23 pm

Definitely give it a go!! 🙂 xx

4. February 2, 2018 / 7:32 pm

This post just brought us the good memories of summer! Oh and how we miss it! 🙂
    Lovely post

With love,
    xx

Patricia & Miguel

February 5, 2018 / 4:43 pm

Yeah summer is always so so sooo lovely! xx

February 2, 2018 / 11:56 am

Yessssss that’s so good!! It can be so crazy damaging and it amazes me when people don’t see that xx

5. January 31, 2018 / 8:14 pm

First of all, you’re in a great shape! Second of all, I also love those MAC products you’ve mentioned. Sunnies are great too! xx

Naya // http://www.partyparrotblog.com

February 2, 2018 / 11:56 am

Haha thank you!!! And yes they are so so good hey!!! 😀 xx

6. Alessa Bernal
    January 30, 2018 / 4:22 pm

such amazing products, everything looks so great but I’ll try several products!
    Please visit my Blog!

Alessa Bernal

7. January 29, 2018 / 11:19 pm

I am so jealous right now, I can’t wait for spring and summer!!! I am definitely a summer girl and spending time at the beach makes me so happy. I have an obsession with sunglasses, I have way too many pairs! And I love the black and white swimsuit!! xx

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

January 31, 2018 / 7:21 am

Yessss it’s so amazing and relaxing!! Haha yeah I think I need to get more into sunglasses for sure!! And thank you 🙂 xx

8. January 29, 2018 / 7:39 pm

Oooh, I am so jealous of how sunny it is right now there, and I wish I could frolick on the beach too! Those lipsticks look gorgeous with a sun kissed glow too

Hannah the Mad Dog

January 31, 2018 / 7:19 am

Yeah the summer has been amazing!!! Living next to the beach definitely has its perks haha yeah they are gorgeous! Xx

9. January 29, 2018 / 1:29 pm

Oh I like the sound of that sunscreen! 🙂 I really need to try find a nice sunscreen for my face – my BB cream has SPF in it, and I wear that most days, but I think a nice natural sunscreen would be good on days out to the beach and things! And yes, definitely can’t be without sunnies in summer!

Hope that you had a lovely weekend and a nice start to your week! We had a quiet weekend as this will be a busy week! 🙂

Away From The Blue Blog

January 29, 2018 / 5:57 pm

Definitely check it out!! I really enjoy it for the fact that it’s natural and free from chemicals, meaning you aren’t putting anything dodgy on your skin 🙂 but yes for the face it’s always so important as well and I feel a lot of people overlook that as a lot of SPFs don’t work under makeup! But definitely important to keep on the lookout for one that works for you 🙂

Thank you, hope you have a great week too! A quiet weekend is always super lovely 🙂 xx

January 29, 2018 / 5:55 pm

Yeah it’s soooo gorgeous! Especially on tanned skin! Yeah the Porefessional is such a classic hey xx

January 29, 2018 / 5:54 pm

Thanks!! Do it! They are so easy to just chuck on and look adorable xx

January 29, 2018 / 6:40 am

Yeah it really is hey! Xx

January 29, 2018 / 6:39 am

Yeah so true about highlighter 🙂 xx